Trips to Christmas Island run from Tuesday through Tuesday however we always recommend arriving in Hawaii on the Sunday before the trip. Fiji Airline flights to Christmas Island only operate once a week on Tuesday's so if you miss your outgoing flight you will not make the trip!
"Our annual Christmas Island trip took us through Hawaii with an obligatory stop at POP Fishing Marine, where a number of fine trolling lures were purchased. While in Honolulu we also visited Uncle’s Fish Market & Grill for a great seafood lunch. The stopover in Honolulu wouldn’t be the same without a visit to see the big bonefish that hang out along the pier in front of the Parkshore Hotel. Not a bad place to stay when you have a day to kill before your Tuesday morning flight to Christmas Island.
The 2018 trip was Fish Tales' first stay at Lagoon View. The lodge is new and spacious with a good setup for fly fishermen and tourists. The food was simple but plentiful.
The weather cooperated for the most part with the first week being not quite as windy as the second. The second Sunday saw a lot of rain that brought the boys home early in the afternoon.
Both weeks were a combination of flats fishing for bones and GT’s and trolling the outside for Tuna and Wahoo. Other highlights were:
- A Sailfish (that straightened some large hooks!
- a very large shark that three guys worked to bring in
- and a mystery fish that ripped the hooks off the lure also in the mix.
- We also did some jigging for snapper, grouper and Queen fish.
The flats had no shortage of bonefish in all sizes from small Banana Bones to some truly double-digit Bones. Also on the flats we encountered some trigger fish, puffers, goat fish, queen fish, Tilapia, smaller Bluefin, Golden, Barred, and Giant Trevally.
We are looking forward to returning next year for our tenth annual trip."
Our annual excursion to Christmas Island is always filled with adventure. Whether it's:
- helping the locals net fish for dinner (as on Nancy's trip a few years ago)
- unhooking the guide (twice) (as on this recent trip)
- trip to the hospital for stitches from a wahoo cut hand
- delivering soccer balls to the local school (a few years ago)
- landing the elusive milkfish (one of Dave's trips)
- fighting a shark as part of a group of 3 (most recent trip),
- tuna sashimi (nightly on most trips), or
- an appreciation for the people who live and are happy in VERY basic conditions
trip-goers usually come back with a specific story/memory from their time on the island. Christmas Island is a one-of-a-kind experience that we think every traveling angler should experience at least once.
Next year's trip dates are November 12-19 and 19-26. Contact the shop for more information or to reserve your spot today.