We've put together some opportunities to learn and build community from now through early Spring 2024. Here's the summary - check out links for more information:
- Mystery Fly Tying Contests - monthly from now through June. Mystery fly events are open to anyone who wants to get creative with a pre-pack of materials, their own thread, and one additional material of your choosing. Participation is limited to 24 per month and we have two divisions; youth 16 or under, and older than 16. Flies will be judged by a panel of Fish Tales' team members. The winner of each category wins their choice of a $50 gift card or Hareline Dubbin hackle/bead gauge. Price to enter is only $4.00
- After Hours Presentations: We are resuming our in-store seminars with one session per month from November through May. These sessions are FREE but please register so we have an idea on numbers of attendees. Most sessions are mid-week at 7 p.m; one Sunday session starts at 4.
- Friday Night Flies Looking to get out for a couple of hours of fly tying and meet some new people? We invite you to join us for FREE Friday night tying sessions every couple of weeks from mid-November through late May. Bring your own materials and tools and work to replenish your boxes for next season. No fee to participate, but please register so we have an idea of how many people to expect. Note: This is not a class. It is an opportunity to meet some like-minded folks, share some laughs and maybe learn from each other.
- We are bringing back F3T - The Fly Fishing Film Festival. We are excited to be hosting the 2024 F3T at Canyon Meadows Cinemas on February 8, 2024. This is year 5 for us hosting this festival. We've donated funds raised from this event to several groups over the years including; The Oldman Watershed Council, The Friends of Fish Creek, and The Bow River Trout Foundation. Book early for what's sure to be another fun night of films.
- Jeff Currier presents "The World's Best Trout Destinations" - This will mark Jeff's first trip back to Calgary since March 2020 when he has scheduled to present "Trout Bumming the World." His presentation was scheduled for the day things started to be shut down due to COVID and we decided to "pull the pin." He spent the day at the shop painting boxes and navigated eerily quiet airports on his trip home. . We are excited to have Jeff back in Calgary. This event will also be at Canyon Meadows Cinema on March 25. Tickets available on-line or in-store.
We are committing to these types of events this "off-season" to reconnect as a community and encourage anglers of all experiences to connect on and off the water.
In addition to these special events, we have several paid fly tying courses scheduled including a Lake Fishing Course that starts later this month, a couple more rounds of our Level 1 introduction to fly tying courses, and one intermediate tying class.
We hope to see you at some or all of these events.